After looking into Squale Watches I could see what all the fuss is about. Squale are Professional Diving Watches which have proved their reliability, accuracy and resilience beneath the ocean. There heyday began back in the sixties and seventies when world champion divers and spear fishers donned the watches at the 1967 Cuban Spearfishing Championships using the watches to keep track of time beneath the ocean.
Squales foundation began in the early 1950's. Charles and Hélène Von Büren established the watchmaking company, von Buren SA in Neuchâtel, Switzerland. Charles Von Bürenhad loves diving and the sea. He realized there were no watches companies exclusively dedicated to professional diving. He produced the watches under the Squale Brand - The name means "Shark" His daughter ,Monique, was one of his most valued watch testers and she became an excellent diver and a marine biologist. Van Buren registers Squale as its company trademark and receives its first patent for the construction of a diving watch case. In the 1960's the Squale logo appeared on more and more of the watches he produced. In 1967 Squale Watches became synonymous with Von Buren. ( The "VON" logo is still emblazoned on the screw down crown of the current models of the Saquale watches).
Squale and Von Buren sponsored many sporting events. They were the main sponsoring partner for Maria Giuliana 'Jolly' Treleani (triple record holder and apnea world champion in 1965/1966/1967).
As a further testament to their reliability in adverse conditions they were purveyors in the 80s/90s for the paratroopers of the Folgore Italian Sub as well as the Italian Navy.
At the end of the 1960's, Squale introduced the first 1000 meter divers watch which did not require a Helium Valve. This new innovation was released just a few years after Rolex introduced the Helium Valve to the market.
|Squale 1000 M Blue Professional Swiss Automatic Divers Watch|
Squale Watches invented a double flexible gasket for the crystal which eradicated the need for the Heluim Valve as the double flexible gasket evened out the pressure. This system ensured that there were no trapped Helium molecules trapped beneath the crystal and no danger of the glass popping off once the diver resurfaces. In addition the double gasket ensures excellent water resistance.
One can still purchase a Squale Diving Watch with this technique at ZULUTIMEZONE.COM in the current 101 Atm (2002 series) models. The incredibly successful double flexible gasket proves to be better than the Helium valve as there is no hole built into the case.
In addition the scratch resistant sapphire crystal at 3.5 mm is extra thick
Squale Professional Divers Watch was used by record setting 100 meter free diver, Jacques Mayol. He set many world records including a 105 meter free dive at 56 years old. He was an intriguing person who pushed the limits of human capabilities with intense physiological and mental training through utter relaxation and yoga. A French national born on April 1st, 1927 Shanghai China, Jacques Mayol, developed a passion for the ocean and a fascination with dolphins. He became quite attached to Clown, a female dolphin, he met while working as a commercial diver at an aquarium in Miami Florida. He imitated her and learned how best to maneuver beneath the water. He contributed immeasurably to the free-diving or apnea sport - diving on a single breath without the use of any sort of breathing equipment. His life is documented in a wonderful film, The Big Blue, directed by award winning French film director, writer and producer - Luc Besson. Squale watches are highly featured in this movie as they are known for their superior resilience in adverse environmental conditions.
Since timing is an issue of life and death in apnea sport, a reliable divers watch is a critical necessity. Squale Diving Watches boast many features specifically designed to stand up to the pressure and adverse conditions of a sub aquatic environment. Most Squale Professional Diving Models sport the features below. To verify if a particular model suits your needs, visit ZULUTIMEZONE. ZULUTIMEZONE easy to read interface and exceptional watch feature detail enable you to precisely determine the which watch is for you.
The Squale 1000 M Blue Professional Swiss Automatic Divers Watch exhibits the following features for maximum resilience in the murky and treacherous underwater environment.
- Extra thick crystal ensures minimal breakage and enhanced dial protection.
- Double gasket for increased water resistance and balance of Helium molecules.
- Screw down crown for maximum water resistance.
- 316L Steel - which is high grade steel used in medical instruments and 316L steel which has superior corrosion resistance to regular steel. A necessity when subjected to constant contact with sea water.
- The watch is water resistant to 1000 meters, which is quite sufficient seeing that the the deepest SCUBA dive on record is 330 meters performed by French Scuba Diver Pascal Bernabé, while the deepest dive by a Navy diver in Atmospheric Diving System (ADS) suit is 610 meters.
- SuperLuminova on hour markers and on bakelite bezel ensure readability in dim conditions. (Read What is Lume)
- The bezel is treated and case is treated by a corrosion resistant varnish, which prevents any type of damage due to contact with sea water.
- Squale Watches are powered by top notch high reliable Swiss ETA 2824-2 Automatic Self Winding movement produced by Swatch Group such as is used in Omega, Breitling, Edox and Rado timepieces. After all ETA stands for Elegance, Technology and Accuracy.
- The watch is affixed to the wrist via a rubber strap creating a comfortable, non-slip wear in underwater environments.
- The Watch is presented with a 2 year Squale International warranty.